Secondary suites must comply with the Alberta Fire Code and Alberta Building Code, as well as municipal bylaws. If your suite was built after December 31, 2006, it must have:
- a separate mailing address
- a ceiling height of at least 1.95m
- direct access to the outdoors
- a window in each bedroom
- fire protected walls and ceiling between the secondary suite and the main home and around common exits by the use of ½ inch of drywall
- interconnected smoke alarms that cover both the secondary suite and the main home
- an independent heating and ventilation system
- enclosed gas-fired furnaces and water heaters that are in an enclosed space that is insulated with ½ inch drywall
If your suite was built before December 31, 2006, the above requirements may not apply. To be legal a safety codes officer must approve the existing structure of your secondary suite.
The secondary suite must also comply with municipal bylaws which vary throughout Alberta.